Question
Posted by: Peppie | 2010/04/14

why no flu shots?

I usually get the seasonal flu shot every year. This year, there is NOTHING available. I''m in Namibia and our chemists get their stock from South African suppliers but they''re getting nothing this year. I''ve been asking them since the end of February, when the flu shots usually arrive.

What on earth is going on? World Cup fever or pig flu panic?

Expert ImagePharmacist

There currently is a shortage of influenza vaccines in the private health sector according to the National Institute for Communicable Diseases.

The institute said in a statement that a number of reasons had caused the shortage, including production problems because one of the strains had not grown well.

Some manufacturers had also switched to producing the swine flu vaccine last year, while there has been an increase in the demand for vaccines due to last year's Influenza A, or swine flu, pandemic.

Another factor which had led to the shortage was the large purchase for the public vaccination programme.

2
Posted by: kzn | 2010/04/28

Most of the vaccines were sent to state hospitals and clinics for high risk people, HIV. My elderly mother is also high risk, diabetic and heart disease and was informed by pharmacies , none available. : (

Reply to kzn
Posted by: pharmacist | 2010/04/16

Reply to pharmacist