Posted by: Wings | 2009-08-14

Why is it so?

I long to travel the world or even work abroad but money is always a problem somehow to start off getting from one place to another. I get so envious to see so many young people travelling the world while I sit back each day in a cold office. Why is it so that I can' t just get up go do the same? It looks so easy for them to just up and go but not for me. I guess they have worked hard for it somehow? I wish I knew the way to make things happen for me. I feel like I am wasting my life away with what I am doing? I want to broaden my horizons but honestly I have no idea where to get started? How do others do it? I' m still to young to get old too quicly. There' s so much in life I want to see and experience.

In the really old days, youngsters often travelled the world, safely and hapilly. Then in the Bad Old Days, with santions, etc., this became very hard to do and impossible for many, so a generation or two lost out on this opportunity. Now it is again possible, but some missed out the first time round.
This is obviously easier to do when one has finished school, but has no esponsibilities of job, let alone relationships and children. Once one has these responsibilities is is still possible, but needs to be modified by realities. Looking for options for long-leave, maybe a transfer within one's own or a related company ( which can have advantages the younger kids don't have access to ).
One needs to keep open the capacity to dream coupled with practical sense of scaning for opportunities. And not to focus only on very large dreams, but on their smaller components, too. I was lucky ( or, rather I made my own luck ) to be able to travel a lot when younger --- but while working towards and waiting for each opportunity, I enjoyed reading about and researching the places I wanted to visit, so I could make maximum use of the chances when they came, while enjoying the planning itself.