Question
Posted by: Annelize | 2012-09-27

Why is Dormicum used during Surgery?

Good Day, CyberDoc

I would like to know exactly what DORMICUM is used for during surgery. Is it used IN PLACE OF a general anaesthetic or is it used PRIOR to an anaesthetic to relax a patient?

My urologist told me that he will use DORMICUM instead of a general anaesthetic (which I am petrified of having).

I have heard however that Dormicum is used mostly prior to an anaesthetic to relax a patient. It is NOT used INSTEAD of an anaesthetic. Is this correct? Is my urologist having me on? Does he, in any case, intend to perform a GENERAL anaesthetic!?

Annelize

Dormicum is used as a sedative and will definately relax you and take the unpleasant experience of the procedure away. Dormicum is not used as a general anaesthetic.

1
Posted by: Magrie | 2012-09-27

My daughter underwent conscious sedation to have her wisdom teeth removed. Dormicum was one of the drugs that was used.
It is used to relax the patient and will cause amnesia. You will not remember anything after the procedure was performed. Much safer that general anaesthetic.

Reply to Magrie