Question
Posted by: Nosipho | 2011-10-31

Why is acne still such a ''non-disease''?

Hi Doc, just wondering why no one will take acne seriously.

Medical aids - the best in the country - say it is not a chronic condition but falls under ''cosmetic'' (like breast augmentation would) and hence will not be covered even on a higher option. You may recall in my earlier post I said I am on Androcur (not covered) and will be going on Roaccutane (won''t be covered). All my costs must instead be paid out of medical savings only. I have had acne 28 yrs - severe cystic acne causing pitting and scarring and untold, untold psychological suffering - and medical aids want to say it is not a chronic nor medical condition, it is merely a cosmetic concern? In other words I am just trying to look pretty? For 28 years I have been trying to look normal, not pretty.

Will this disease ever be taken seriously? It wasn''t taken seriously when I got it at age ten - I am two years from my 40th and it still is not taken seriously.

Nosipho

I do share in your frustration. It might be worthwhile to investigate if the new consumer protection act can be a useful tool, in order to force the medical aids to cover acne.