Question
Posted by: Question | 2011/04/04

Why have these people become so nasty?

Is it just me or have the people on this site become really REALLY nasty? People come here for help and advice and they get struck down by harsh comments and mean users. Is it the lack of real identity that gives people the ''freedom'' to be mean? Is there no way to keep the nasty people off?

Rewsponses vary. at any time some are too darn sympathetic to be helpful, some are thoughtful and useful, and some are nasty, often because you have sparked off something that resonates unpleasantly within their own psyche.
The mood varies, though, so this complaint turns up now and then, and at other times is not much of a concern.
Less sympathetic responses are indeed often more useful, as Truth says. And part of the value o a public open forum is that like it or not, you get a sample of what other people you know will or might think about your situation.
And as Purple usfully emphasizes, distinguish between nasty comments that intend nothing other than being nasty and bothering you, with frank and really important comments you need to hear and think about, which, because they reflect something you don't want to hear, may upset you - but potentially upset you in a useful way.

11
Posted by: IP | 2011/04/06

Whatever? Great reply, did you exhaust your minds archive to up with with that?

Told you. CRAP!

Reply to IP
Posted by: Maria | 2011/04/06

Uhm... ok IP. Whatever.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: IP | 2011/04/05

Maria, if you think posting here is for the world to see, then you must inhabit a very small world. Face it, 99.9% of the stuff on here is pure unadulterated CRAP.

And you just read a little bit more....................

Reply to IP
Posted by: Happiness | 2011/04/05

I agree with Maria,

If you gonna post looking strictly for sympathies then just mention it early to give readers a heads up.

Otherwise be brave and take like a man/woman!

Reply to Happiness
Posted by: Purple | 2011/04/05

There is a big difference between stating something that is helpful but somebody doesn''t actually want to hear (and might think is rude) and some of the purely nasty things some people are posting in response - letes not confuse the two.

Some people feel so anonymous that they feel free to be much nastier than they ever would in person. Others are probably just as nasty in " real life" .
All computers have an IP address, so those people aren''t exactly as anonymous as they think they are.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Maria | 2011/04/05

You have to be thick skinned if you post your problems on a public forum for the world to see. Some of the rude, in-your-face replies contain gems of wisdom if you''re willing to look for them. Some of the there-there-don''t-cry replies won''t help the person any further. I agree that it would be nice if everybody was polite and tactful but life isn''t like that, especially not in cyberspace.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: qwerty | 2011/04/05

It''s not just you - I have noticed a certain amount of animosity, name-calling and feuding lately. Nothing wrong with having an opinion, or telling someone a truth they need to hear, but some people are taking any opportunity to demean and insult others, all in the name of " honesty" .

Reply to qwerty

Posted by: Kasandra | 2011/04/04

I have to agree! Nasty!

They must be very unhappy to always be so rude!

Reply to Kasandra
Posted by: Kasandra | 2011/04/04

I have to agree! Nasty!

Reply to Kasandra
Posted by: Truth | 2011/04/04

Some of the harsh replies are more relevant than the soft replies!

Reply to Truth