Posted by: CC | 2009-01-23

why don' t i lose anything????

hi doc
my husband and i have started gyming about 3 weeks ago. 3 to 4 times a week between 30 and 45 min. For breakfast we take a yogurt and fruit and on the days we gym in the mornings muesli and yogurt. lunch is a salad either plain green salad or with a bit of barley or the light two minute noodle. apple about 3 o' clock and then it either chicken, meat or fish with veggies for supper. i lost about 2 kg the first week. went back to 158 kg the next week and Im still there this week. i actually cried this morning at the gym, should i just stop getting on the scale al together and just go on as i have been doing or can you PLEASE TELL ME WHAT AM I DOING WRONG. My husband lost 3kg so far. why can' t i lose anything???? my water in take is about 1.5 to 2L a day. Please help!

Dear CC
Your are doing nothing wrong, except for perhaps eating so little that your metabolism reacts by reducing your energy output. It is also not a good idea to compare female weightloss with that of a man, because, alas, men do lose weight more easily and rapidly than women - unfair, but true. I would recommend that you stick to your exercise programme, make sure that you are not under- or overeating, and not drink more than 2,5 litres of LIQUID per day (this includes water and all the other beverages you ingest in a day). Excessive water intake can cause electrolyte imbalances which in turn can cause water retention which will make you weigh more even if you have lost fat.
Persevere and give your body a chance to adjust.