Question
Posted by: Del | 2008/09/29

Why does is always come back?

I am 38 and have suffered from " IBS"  for years since 9 years. I had freq. tongsilites and was then on antibiotics. By age 9 I started with viginal discharge thrush and bloted stomach. Everything was always treated seperetaly - with very little sucsess.About 2 years ago I started myself on probiotics
to try and lessen the viginal infections and found myself relieved of the IBS for the firs time in years. I am less bloated as well when taking the cap' s. What I dont understand is If I stop today
3 days later al the old symtoms starts comming back. What is causing these flora to die so easaly could it be a problem with HP balance.

Expert ImageProbiotics expert

Hi Del
The flora live in what is called a biofilm on the gut lining. The cells of the gut lining are constantly growing or regrenerating and shedding off. Together with the constant movement and passage of food through the gut you have a very dynamic and constantly changing ecosystem.
Although certain probiotics attach to this lining and grow, the whole lining is in constant movement.
It is important to keep replenishing with a probiotic that is helping you. Sorry no easy answer or “cure”
Perhaps you should consider tring a probiotic called REUTERI because the dose is only 1 daily, it is safe and found naturally in the human gut. It is thus robust and perfectly adapted to living in this environment vs other which may be of animal or plant origin. The 1 daily doe makes it cost effective.