Question
Posted by: Confused | 2008/07/15

Why do women not reply to sms's?

That's my big thought for the day. Ladies, why don't you? Or if you do, why wait hours before a reply? Is it not simple courtesy to reply immediately?

I mean honestly? I went out with this girl the other day, thought it went well... I sms'd to say I had a good time and we should do something soon. Guess what, I didn't get a reply... WTF?

It's like it's a marriage proposal or asking her to get a hotel room. Come on?

What's the deal, is there something i'm missing?

I think the world would be enormously better off without SMS
I agree with jcat, that the mere fact that a method is available and maybe evemn easy and convenient, doesn't make it the automatically mos preferred method of communication, nor one that leads others to any obligation for a prompt response. Most SMS are sent by a bored person with too much time on their hands, assuming everyone is just as bored and unoccupied. Now, as jcat says, if you sent Flowers, a lack of response would be unseemly.

4
Posted by: SR | 2008/07/16

Confused = see it as a message she is sending you without texting it .... make sense?

Reply to SR
Posted by: stormy | 2008/07/16

maybe she cant read :-)

Reply to stormy
Posted by: a-non-a-muisie | 2008/07/16

If a guy I really like sms's me I cant wait to reply.

If a guy who's so-so sms's i'll reply in the next half hour.

If I don't like a guy i just leave it until im deleting sms's and then MAYBE i'll reply.

So all i can say is..............Helloooooooooooooooooooo

Reply to a-non-a-muisie
Posted by: jcat | 2008/07/16

Yes, there IS something you are missing! Unless, of course you are under 18 and not aware of more elegant forms of communication....

Seriously, Confused, an SMS is not a way I would appreciate a post-date follow up. It's a very arbitrary, abbreviated way of saying anything, and definitely not the most intimate or romantic!

If it had been a good date, and you were interested in a repeat, it wouldn't need a huge investment of time or cash. First choice would be a phone call, or an email - heck I lie, first choice would be flowers the next day!! , but that would not be expected at all -
but something more intimate and special than an SMS?

After a 2nd date, or in between, or just as a way of saying 'hey, thinking about you even though I'm in a really important meeting', yes, an SMS is great. But it isn't an alternative to the effort and courage a real verbal phone call would take, and that is probably why your otherwise lovely lady didn't respond.

Regards,
jcat

Reply to jcat