Question
Posted by: nicolette | 2009-12-18

why do i pick up

diet doc i am totally frustrated i cant understand why i picked up weight a week or 3 ago i weighed 74kg i am 1.78 m tall and 37 years old i kind off changed my gym routine to a brisk 25min walk with incline and a bit more weights and the circuit but now 3 weeks later i weigh 77kg!!!

for breakfast i have a slice of toast with egg white
then snack 3 provitas
lunch sandwich with cheese or tuna and fruit
dinner is a small potato with either a chicken fillet or bit mince and just befor bed time a slice of bread with marmite

i tried the fruit untill 12 noon then normal food for a week but then i picked up and cant get rid of this grrrr

please advise me on this issue

Dear Nicolette
I can imagine that you are frustrated that you suddenly weigh 3 kg more, but there are many factors that could play a role. Hormonal changes that result in water retention can always be a factor in women, so in the week before and after menstruation you may weigh more, but not have gained any fat. Your change in your exercise schedule may be building muscle tissue which ironically weighs more than fat tissue, so also check your vital measurements once a week to see if you are losing cm. The diet you describe is very minimalistic and not well balanced because you don't seem to eat sufficient fruit and vegetables and your milk and dairy product intake is too low to guarantee that you will ingest the 1000 mg of calcium that you need for healthy bones and teeth. Try eating a more balanced energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and concentrate on doing aerobic exercises like brisk walking, jogging, skipping and swimming or cycling rather than working with weights if you want to burn fat.
Wishing you a happy Festive Season

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2009-12-20

Dear Nicolette
Wishing you a happy Festive Season