Posted by: Helen | 2012-11-02

Why can''t I loose weight??

Hi Doc. I was always very skinny and weighed 60kg in matric. Then went to Stellenbosch to study for 3years and gained 12kg over the 3yrs because of a lot of drinking (alcohol) and not eating very healthy. I''m now 25yrs old and weigh 75kg. I eat quite healthy now and not a lot and don''t drink as much (but do still love my red wine on weekends)
I can''t seem to loose any weight although I go to gym 1-2times a week. (Hate exercise) I also don''t gain anymore weight, no matter what I eat. And smoke +-5 cigarettes a day. I went for a blood test to see if something might keep me from loosing weight, but the doc said I''m fine. What''s going on??? I became obsessed with my weight and don''t know what to do to loose the 15kgs I picked up!! PLEASE help!!!

Dear Helen
The varsity years can cause havoc with one's weight and I can remember one of my colleagues doing a study for her MSc on this subject and it was alarming how much weight first year students gained. You don't mention how tall your are so that I can calculate your BMI, but I presume the added 15 kg have caused overweight and that it may be advisable to lose a certain amount. To lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). If you stick to the gym then please ask the instructor to work out a programme that includes more aerobic exercises and less working with weights. Also try to go for walks or swim or skip on the days when you don’t go to gym.
While you are on the ‘Diet & Nutrition’ site, read about every aspect of slimming (the dangers of diet pills, slimming aids, psychological aspects of slimming including obesessions, etc) by also checking out the ‘Weight Loss’ section and exploring the site.