Posted by: nono | 2012-12-04

why am not loosing weight

dear doc .
im 34 years ,weigh 78kgs ,height 1.58m, i dont have a problem with eating, breakfast is low fat yoghurt or special k with skimm milk, lunch green salad and supper veggies and chicken breasts for snacking i always eat an apple or a fruit salad and i eat potion sized meals why am i not losing weight?

Dear Nono
Your present BMI = 31,2, which is very high. It would be advisable to try and reduce your BMI to 25, for which you would need to weigh 63 kg (a loss of 15 kg. There are many different reasons why individuals struggle to lose weight, such as insulin resistance, female hormone imbalances, depression, the after-effects of repeated use of fad diets, effects of medications, a slow metabolic rate, etc. I would advise that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), for an assessment because you may be suffering from a condition such as insulin resistance and need to use a low-Glycaemic Index (GI) diet which the dietitian will have to help you with. It is also important to increase your energy output by doing regular exercise for at least 30 min a day(running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). While you are on the ‘Diet & Nutrition’ site, read about every aspect of slimming.

Posted by: m | 2012-12-12

I''m exactly the same length and height you are, I must say that when I was on my slimmest I was 75kg, have stop for a few months now with excercise and are still 75kg but difference in posture, please don''t look at your BI, to loose the fat do resistant training and you''ll see the inches will be dropping. Don''t look at the kg, measure yourself and you will see the difference. Leave the carbs and sugar for 6 days, make 1 cheat day a week, use cinnamon half teaspoon a day to regulate your bloodsugar and you be gorgeous in no time. Remember, muccles need energie to stay put and thus use the fat. Goodluck

Reply to m
Posted by: kathy | 2012-12-09

Ok I am told I am ins resistant, so what''s the use of taking it? I do move around quite a bit becaus its in my nature to be kept busy, running around, yes I am oldish (60) but I am not so inattitude, if I took the advice of medical profession, I wud not be here to talk to u!

Reply to kathy
Posted by: kathy | 2012-12-09

I do hav this situation, and honestly I cannot touch carbs or fruit and myb sugars sky rocket, and even without touching eithjer, it won''t go down, I am on insulin and I was put on too much and I dropped the dose myself and feel so great, minus megraines which I never had my entire life, I am down from 14 to 4 ml but I am tempted yo drop it further, I am told diabetes makes fat, my chol is hoghj and my thyroid functon sluggish, I take meds, yes I see other diabetics are skinny! So what now?

Reply to kathy