Posted by: Bonbon | 2009-02-08

Why am i picking up weight?

I am 26, 1.52m and 74kg. Since 5 Jan i have been working out 5 days a week - 3 days at Curves which is a 30min circuit plus stretching after and 2 days of Mixed Martial arts classes which last about 1.5hrs. I' ve also cut out luxuries completely during the week and then have a treat on weekends but still in moderation. Other than that I have wholewheat Pronutro or Right Start for breakfast, 3 provita or fruit and yoghurt midmorning and afternoon snack, a sandwhich on wholegrain low gi bread for lunch and then either a curry with brown or basmati rice or a protein (steak, chicken or fish) with 1 portion of starch and mixed veg for supper.

During the first 3 weeks i lost 3kgs. In the last week I' ve picked up the entire 3kgs. I havent been doing anything differently. Please tell me what could possibly be happening??? I' m really confused and frustrated!

Dear Chantal
It may help to exchange the static exercises at Curves with aerobic or cardio exercises like brisk walking for 30 min a day to stimulate your metabolism. Your regimen sounds fine otherwise and it did give you good results because losing 1 kg per week is ideal. You may be building muscle tissue which weighs more than fat tissue, so also keep track of your vital measurements (bust, waist, hip, thigh and upper arm measurements) because you may be losing fat even if the scale says otherwise. If after another month you have still not lost any more weight, then it may be a good idea to have a medical checkup to see if you suffer from a hormone imbalance (thyroid, female hormones and insulin).
Hang in there, Rome was not built in a day!
Keep up the good work with the diet and the exercise and give your body time to adjust