Question
Posted by: Thula | 2010/09/16

Why am I not meant to...

Why can one not weigh themselves when I they have their period (sorry for the description). It just had to start yesterday and my weigh-in was this morning. I am really dissappointed about the results. I ONLY lost 3kg''s in 2weeks. I have soooo much weight to lose (40) and I was hoping for at least 4kg??? :-(

Dear Thula
There is no reason why you cannot weigh yourself or be weighed when you menstruate. The only problem is that many women experience water retention due to hormonal changes during menstruation and that can result in disappointment when you are weighed. It is quite possible that your failure to lose more weight in 2 weeks, was due to the fact that you weighed more (because of retained water), but that you have actually lost more fat than indicated. However, and this is VERY important. Losing 3 kg in 2 weeks, is a wonderful result. In general it is unhealthy and unrealistic to expect to lose more than 0,5 to 1 kg per week, so your 3 kg loss is stunning.
Don't let yourself be disappointed at this stage of the process if you still have a lot of weight to lose - do things one week at a time.
Hang in there

2
Posted by: Thula | 2010/09/17

Really? Thanks a mil doc... I am really encouraged then. I lost the weight because of help I got from my dietician... so guess I am on the right track. Thanks again...

Reply to Thula

Dear Thula
Hang in there