Question
Posted by: Someone | 2011/09/16

Why am I irritable when I diet? and does it stop me loosing weight?

I''m currently on the 13th day of a very sensible low GI diet (following portion and food choice recommendations of the Gabi Steenkamp &  Liesbet Delport " Eating for sustained energy"  books).

The first week I felt great and lost 2.3kg.

This week I was irritable the whole time. Not hungry, even forgot to eat an afternoon snack once or twice. Not craving any " naughty"  food, because I feel quite satisfied on the food I do eat. But really irritable, angry at every one and every thing (except my dog - she''s too cute) for no reason at all (This is not me at all under usual circumstances). At lost not a single gram of weight this week :-(.

Am I irritable because I''m dieting, even though not hungry or feeling deprived or craving other foods? And is the irritability stopping me from loosing weight? Nothing else changed between last week and this week.

And NO, I''m not eating too much - about 5500 to 6000 kJ per day, about 5 portions of carbs, 4 of protein, 3 of milk, 2 of fat. (I currently weigh 93 kg, 1.67m height.

Dear Someone
From what you say, you are certainly using the correct approach to weightloss by applying the low-GI diet based on 'Eating for sustained energy' and your kJ intake is low enough to cause weightloss too. It is difficult to say why you are feeling irritable. You don't say if you previously ate foods like chocolate or if you have suddenly decreased your intake of coffee or tea?? Chocolate, coffee, tea and cacao contain stimulants such as caffeine, serotonin, endorphins and phenylethylamine, which all cause a type of addiction and withdrawal symptoms when you stop using them. That is why I am wondering if you are so irritable because of a sudden change in your intake of potential stimulants. If this is not the case, then you could subconsciously be reacting to perceived 'deprivation'. You may feel that you are being deprived of all the usual treats that other people around you can eat. I can only suggest that you persevere because you will lose weight on this low-GI, energy-reduced diet and then this temporary mood change will have been worthwhile. The irritability should not affect your weightloss. Give you body time to adjust to all these changes and do consider doing some form of exercise. Take your cute doggie for a 30 min walk a day. The exercise will not only help with the weightloss, but as you get fitter and increase the intensity of your walking, you will find that the exercise produces endorphins (like in the chocolate, etc), which lift your mood.
Hang in there

1

Dear Someone
Hang in there