Question
Posted by: Veronica | 2010/04/20

Why am I gaining weight?

Hello, I do about 1 hour and 20 minutes of cardio 4- 5 days a week. In the past few weeks, I have GAINED 3kgs. I am using very little weights, drink more water lately, eat smaller portions, eat better yet I’ m gaining? I do a 20 minutes workout after 4 of the meals I eat (so I eat breakfast, then walk, have my mid-morning snack which is usually granola or 3 provitas, have lunch which is usually just a small sandwich then walk, have a late afternoon snack which is usually 2 provitas then walk, have supper then walk). I usually walk at quite a fast pace (if it’ s a slow pace I do a longer walk) so I don’ t understand why I’ m gaining?

Hi Veronica

Is your exercise routine new, or had you been doing this training for a while before you started gaining weight?

It might be, if you've just started out, quite normal to be gaining weight. In fact, it happens to almost everyone, because they increase muscle mass and plasma volume. That can often lead to an increase in mass, of between 1 and 4 kg, and so you might be in that situation, I'm not sure.

It doesn't sound like diet is the issue, but I do have to mention that sometimes people gain weight because they eat too little, not too much, and the body starts to conserve. It's as if a switch is thrown that puts us in "conservation" mode, and it may be that if you increase your food intake, you'll lose weight, bizarrely enough.

So I'd say give it another week or two, and then look at diet.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/04/30

Hi Veronica

Reply to fitnessdoc