Question
Posted by: Me | 2011/08/27

Why actually bother

I am struggling to find a reason to live. I doubt I am depressed or anything but in all honesty I dont want to live anymore. My life (and that of my son) came to a stand still a few years ago (impact of crime), it ended up with me leaving my partner of 16 years, being a single parent, not having cash to survive, having to get a full time job to the detriment of my son, ect ect. We have managed to stay afloat, but barely - and I just dont see the point of waking up anymore - for the first time I can understand how someone would want to kill their kids and themselves, because at the end of the day there seems to be no point to living,and who wants to have a kid grow up in this place anyway. My life totally consists of getting up, going to work coming home, playing with my child, going to bed. Really exciting stuff. I cant really do much else because of finances, and time - I do not have any other family, I dont socialise much anymore, and I guess at the end of the day I am trying to figure out what makes people actually want to live. Is this how it is for everyone, everyday sort of struggle just to get by, which if that is the case what is the whole point.

Usually, we find a reason for living, by living. Sometimes one can get so wrapped up in the sheer effort of dealing with life problems that one loses sight of the purpose of it all, but that doesn't mean there is no purpose. From where I sit, I cannot see Cape Towm, but I have good reasons to believe that it exists and is as great a city as I remember it to be.
And uually, depression is significantly present ( whether or not we feel aware of it, or consciously sad ) when one feels life is pointless.
Getting a proper assessment by a psychiatrist, and following treatment advice is a wise precaution. If there really was no purpose in life, one wouldn't have lost anything by trying to see how much better things can be made. And if there is a purpose, one could re-discover it.
And beyond dount, your son deserves to live and will find meaning and joy in his life, if you ensure that he will remain alive and well enough to find his way.
If your job doesn't provide medical aid, a good state hospital, and your nearest medical school, ought to be able to provide useful help, so long as you are frank and tell them how you are really feeling.

1