Question
Posted by: Annemarie | 2011/10/06

Why???

Doc Ingrid

Ive got a difficult question for you.

1) Why is loosing weight so difficult, especially after your thirties? Why can you loose MAYBE 500g a week if you really try hard and pick 1 kilo up with one or two days bad eating. Why do your metabolism slow down and what can you do to rev it up?

2) You are a qualified dietician. How do you keep yourself motivated to loose weight and to say no to temptations and to eat healty 24/7?

I am really in a bad spot today and i am looking for somebody to take it out on and i immediatly thought YOU will be the right person to take it out on. SORRY...

I am not extremely overweight but i feel this is a BATTLE that i cannot win and i am busy giving up on myself.

Is it maybe time for self acceptance? Because i am loosing the battle

Dear Annemarie
No, don't give up now, just because you are having a down day. That is not how I have got to know you! Take a deep breath and go back to basics. Stick to your diet with dedication and do your exercises as we have discussed in the past. I know it can get boring and discouraging, but every time you do lose those 500 g per week, go to the supermarket and pick up a 500g block of margarine and realise that you have shed the equivalent amount of fat! Now that is something to be proud of. Losing weight and many other functions do tend to become more difficult as human beings get older. There is an automatic slowing down of the basic metabolism as we age - sort of as if we were running down! Most experts agree that people tend to gain about 1 kg in weight for every year over 30 even if they do not tend to be overweight or suffer from problems like insulin resistance. Women have a harder time than men, because of a whole lot of factors - if you have had one or more children, then each pregnancy exposes you to the risk of added weight gain and potential hormone derangements (thyroid, insulin and female hormone problems which are all associated with weight gain), then women naturally have a lower basic metabolic rate (BMR) compared to men, so they will find it harder and it will take longer to lose weight - unfair, but unfortunately true. There is one thing that we can all do to stimulate our metabolism and that is to do aerobic exercises (I reckon I have said this to you before!). Doing aerobic exercise not only burns energy while you do the exercise, but it also increases your BMR for up to 24 hours afterwards, which uses up a LOT of kJ. In addition, research has shown that slimmers who use exercise together with a slimming diet, find it easier to stick to their diet and lose more weight than those who don't. And doing exercise also counteracts the blues! So please make a plan and get more active and don't give up.

1

Dear Annemarie