Question

WHY?

Hi CS

I have suffered with depresion for most of m adult life however due to society been so negative towards people that suffer from this form of illness have been on and off meds.
Finally I have found a psychatrist that understands me and I have now managed to get some relieve from the big black cloud that I live in. How ever I have recently been started on Lithium to stabalise the mood and this has caused great conflict for me as I now really feel like a freek of nature.
My family are not aware that I take any meds or see any one niether does my work in fear of been judge like all the times before so this makes it even more difficult.
When is society going to stop Judging people just because they have a chemical imbalance that they did not ask for any less than some one that has cancer.
It is so difficult to have to hide it away all the time

Of course many people in society are unfortunately prejudiced against any form of mental illness, indeed even physical illness - but growing numbers are Not. I'm pleased to hear you have found a good psychiatrist to work with, and that treatment is beginning to help.
I'm finding it hard to understand why now taking Lithium makes you feel like a freak of nature. Lithium can be most useful, and indeed naturally occurs in the water, though usually not at high enough levels to be useful
What has made you feel so sure that others, at work or in your family, would condemn you or be prejudiced if they discovered that you took meds ? If someone has a severe headache and doesn't take a pill to relieve it, people tend to think he's being foolish. I really wonder whether you need to hide it so earnestly ? Do discuss this with your psychiatrist.
And of course you're right, people with depression or any other psych illness have chemical vulnerabilities, just as diabetics have problems in their sugar levels - in neither case is it the person's choice or fault, and getting proper treatment for it is highly sensible and commendable

2
Posted by: Happiness | 2010/02/04

Hi Anon

Is it possible you can give me the details of your psychiatrist now that you say you' ve seen progress. A friend of mine needs a psychiatrist, she has seen one before but things didn' t work. From that experience she concluded that all the cousellors don' t really know what they are doing.

Reply to Happiness