Question
Posted by: Anon* | 2008/07/22

Why

I joined the gym in april, I go mayebe 3 times a month because
i just cant seem to prioritize and make time - my BMI is 25 tho..
i dont eat large portions of food never have, and I changed my pill over a year ago - so question is why am i putting on weight -
at least 1 kg every month for the last 3 months... I also try to
diarise the change in centimeters and not kgs as per advise
when i decided to start at the gym - and my cms tend to
fluctuate with about 3 cm sometimes my breasts 3 cm more or
less sometimes my waist 3 or 4 cm up or down - i only measure
every 2 weeks, my breast and waist cm`s dont increase at the same time so i cant blame pms...my hips / arms thighs stay the same... what else can it be, im not pregnant as i havent skipped a pill and periods are on time.

Dear Anon*
Your fluctuating weight and dimensions could be due to water retention which can be caused by a variety of factors (e.g. hormonal changes despite using the pill; electrolyte imbalances; kidney problems, etc). It may also be that your weight gain is being caused by an underlying condition (thyroid, insulin or female hormone problems), so if you continue to gain weight I would recommend a medical checkup to see if there is some problem that needs attention. To counteract this trend you could try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, making use of your gym or Walk for Life) for at least 30 min a day.