Posted by: CP | 2009-09-08

Wholewheat Pronutro

Good day and thank you for an excellent forum.

Is Wholewheat Pronutro with skim milk a good breakfast option when trying to lose weight - I need to lose about 3kg. Nutritional info below. How much is a portion in household cup measures - 1 cup or half cup?

Typical Value per 100g:
Energy 1446g
Carbohydrates 60.7g
Protein 15.5g - %RDA 14%
Total Fat 5.7g

Thank you very much.

Dear CP
Thank you for your kind words - they make my day so much brighter. Wholewheat Pronutro with skim milk is an excellent choice for breakfast when you are slimming because this combination has a low glycaemic index and is rich in protective nutrients and low in fat. The SA Food Tables do not yet list Pronutro and I don't have a packet in my pantry, so I can't judge how much a cupful would weigh. Please weigh half and full cups of Pronutro to determine the weight. If half a cup weighs 100g then this would supply you with 1446 kJ which represents 23% of your daily energy requirement for an adult woman who is trying to lose weight. Add 1/2 cup of skim milk to this with an energy content of about 200 kJ per 125 ml, then you would be ingesting about 1650 kJ for breakfast which is more or less 1/3 of your daily energy allowance, leaving 450 kJ for a fruit snack during the morning.
Hope this helps

is a very concentrated food so I would not recommend that you use a whole cup for breakfast. If yo

Posted by: CP | 2009-09-09

Thank you DietDoc and Lala for your help - I really appreciate it.

Reply to CP
Posted by: Lala | 2009-09-08

Weigh Less allow you to eat Wholewheat Pronutro. You get best, better and good food choices and it is in the Best Choices group and the other Pronutro range is a good choice. It means if you eat food in the best group you will loose more weight then eating from the good choices.

20g = 1 Complex Carbohydrate /1 Portion

Reply to Lala