Posted by: Fan | 2008-11-24

Wholefood energy bar

Hi Diet doc
Thank you for excellent advice.
I' m a big fan of Trek bars - wholefood energy bars which contain no added sugar and are made of raw dates (42%), oats, soya crispies, raisins, apple jiuce, maize starch, raspberries, strawberries, gingko biloba extract, ginseng extract. The nutirtional info per 100g is as follows:
Are these okay as an occasional afternoon treat/snack if I' m trying to lose 2-3kg by Jan? I' m 27-year old female. I' m worried they may be detrimental to weight loss as are quite high energy but they keep me full for longer than other snacks.
Thank you very much.

Dear Fan
Thank you for your kind words. The Trek bars sound delicious and certainly contain all kinds of healthy ingredients. As regards slimming, eating 100g of this bar (don't know if a whole bar weighs more or less than 100g), will provide 19,9% of your daily energy requirement when slimming. Now if you consider that the generally energy intake for adult women who are trying to lose weight is 6300 kJ and one can work on dividing your energy intake between 3 meals (6300/3 = 2100 kJ per meal) of 6 smaller meals (6300/6 = 1050 kJ), then eating a 100g of the Trek bars would either be a full snack meal for the 6 smaller meal pattern or more than half of a full meal's energy intake. So although these bars are healthy and have a low fat content, they are high in energy and eating them as a snack could counteract your attempts at losing weight. I would recommend that you only eat a 100g bar on days when you divide your food intake into 6 small meals.