Question
Posted by: debbie | 2010/06/01

whole food vs protein shakes

hi doc. I am trying to eat whole foods 6 x a day instead of protein shakes as it is expensive and causes me gastrointestinal upset. However, a shake has about 20g of protein whereby if I have a handful of nuts, it only has 5g of protein + huge amounts of calories from fat!!! You always advise to eat food instead of shakes, however I feel I will get fat this way. I have access to biltong, nuts, dried fruit, normal fruit, etc so that is not a problem. It is the mental block I have as I have been drinking shakes for about 10 years. Please advise. thanks.

Dear Debbie
You may well have a mental block after using shakes for such a long time, but it is also possible that one or more ingredients in the shakes is causing an intolerance. Please keep in mind that adult women only require approx. 50g of protein a day. When you say that you are trying to eat whole foods, does that exclude dairy products? If you can eat diary products these would be an ideal source of highly bioavailable protein (low-fat milk and yoghurt provide 3.3 g of protein per 100 ml, and low-fat cottage cheese contains 4.5 g of protein), in addition a 50g boiled egg provides 5.2 g of protein. So having one 250 ml cup of low-fat milk, plus 150 ml serving of low-fat yoghurt and 100g of cottage cheese and 1 boiled egg, would already provide you with 23 g of protein per day plus the calcium you require to keep your skeleton healthy and prevent osteoporosis. Having a 50g serving of lean meat, fish or chicken will provide the rest of your daily protein requirement for the day without causing weight gain.
Hope this helps

1

Dear Debbie
Hope this helps