Question
Posted by: Maureen | 2010-05-28

White fleece over cats eye?

About 2 weeks ago my cat aged 12 jumped on my bed and it looked as if she had a fit. Her paws were to the one side and her head to the other and she urinated (it just ran out). After a few minutes she came right and I took her to my vet immediately. He did all sorts of tests (including a blood test) and said shes healthy and that he cannot find anything wrong with her. Even her heartbeat was normal. He gave me a tonic (Heptonic) to give to her. Since then when it gets to the late afternoon a white fleece (which ive heard is the called the 3rd eyelid pulls over her eyes, sometime only halfway and other times she can just about see. What causes this and is there any reason to worry?

Maureen

Hi Maureen

There can be many reasons for prolapse of the 3rd eyelid.

It could be due to:

a)relaxed ocular muscles that keep the 3rd eyelid retracted. Could be due to poor physical condition.
b)Neurological deficit to the 3rd eyelid and ocular muscles due to neurological disease e.t.c
c)Pain response prob due to ocular pain.
d)Dehydration, Weight Loss e.t.c
e)Decrease in the size of the eye due to trauma/inflammation
f)Tumours/Cysts e.t.c
There are many other reasons but this might give you some guidance.

Would I be concerned? Yes, as this is not normal presentation in a cat.

Maybe get a feline viral profile conducted for Felv/FIV.
See what explanation you vet gives you for the clinical presentation. If you are not happy aalways have a second opinion.

1
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010-05-28

Hi Maureen

It could be due to:

d)Dehydration, Weight Loss e.t.c
f)Tumours/Cysts e.t.c

Reply to CyberVet