Posted by: Dancer | 2010-05-03

I got whiplash while dancing (hip hop). My head was to the back and then thrust forward, but with unintended force.
It happened over the weekend but I only began experiencing pain last night and today I''m quite uncomfortable.

Couple of questions:
1) which exercises will increase neck strength and flexibility?
I''m a girl and don''t want an neck like Schwarzenegger.
2) I heard that neck circles are bad for you. Is this true?
3) Dancing involves certain head movements that could result in what happened to me. Do you know of anything I can do to help prevent another neck injury?
4) How long should I wait before dancing again?

Thank you.

Expert ImageChiroDoc

I would seriously advise you to visit a Biokineticist for evaluation of your condition and advice on a suitable set of exercises for you. Individuals do differ and to advise on exercise without examining you is not really the right way about this. If your neck is still in some discomfort - do consult a chiropractor too. Dancing can be quite stressful at times - so "take it easy" for about 10 to 14 days - depending upon the outcome of your visits to the chiropractor and biokineticist.
..........and best wishes with your future dancing!!