Question
Posted by: Joe | 2012-07-08

Which way up?

Hiya

I am a 32yr male dentist who contracted a severe bout of measles. Unfortunately i suffered a few complications (encephalitis) and have been hospitalised. However, post-measles, severe headaches, poor short tem memory and debilitating fatigue have literally brought me to my knees. I am currently seeing a psych and neuro whom hav diagnosed me with fibromyalgia with anxiety and mood disorder. My treatment includes cipralex 20, lamictin 50 bd, provigil, and valdoxane 25. Myapaid forte and migrex hav been prescribed for pain and severe headache.
I have had a drastic change in personality since the measles that put strain on my family lfe and work. With all these meds i hav regular jerking of my limbs with mild relief of symtoms hence i hav ceased clinical practice for time being. My sleep is rarely refreshing and wake up caus of some weird nightmares. Im not a nice person to be around anymore and feel like this situation is compounding my condition and the meds dont help.
Any advice?

Sorry to hear about all that, Joe - a most unfortunate set of experiences. A complicated situation, without a clearcut obvious choice of treatments, so the ones you describe are a rasonable attempt to find ways to help. Its hard to know, with something like nightmares, to what extent they may be caused by the aftereffects of the encephalitis, etc., as they can also be among the side-effects of some meds themselves.
Though it might sound an inadequate suggestion, counselling, including the best scientifically validated current form, CBT, can help one handle a wide range of symptoms and related situations.
It can also help you to reain control of some of your behaviours which are currently complicating your life and problems.

2
Posted by: Lu | 2012-07-09

Hi Joe,

I don''t have the advice you need but I''d like to mentioned that my husband went throught a similar thing 2 years ago, also contracted a bad bout of measles at the age of 31, he was flat on his back for 3weeks straight, lost a tremendous amount of weight and only now regained a almost normal immune system.

Fortunately he does not suffer from severe depression but has been on an antidepressant for a short period of time to help him cope with family and work during the time he just did not have the strengh to cope physically (it effected him mentally). He also suffered from major headaches and THIS is what I would like to point out, he went to see our ENT specialist and he found out that he is now permanently suffering from SINUSITIS, and this is what caused his headached, it worth checking out.

For his immune system I bought him MINAMINO (vitamins used for patients who has been hospitalised for long periods).

Good Luck and I hope this will help you cope PHYSICALLY!
Regards,

Reply to Lu