Posted by: Jana | 2009-04-28

Which type of running shoe?

Dear FitnessDoc,

I am running between 40km &  45km per week and I am due for new running shoes. When I first bought my running shoes (Adidas Nova), I didn' t know about buying the right kind of shoe for your foot type or when to buy new ones, even though this shoe has been great and very comfortable and I love Adidas. I have read up a little on it, but now I am left confused. My feet does not have an arch, meaning it is quite flat when I stand. When I was small I wore inner arch soles in my shoes, but not for very long. Today, my feet are still flat. What I don' t understand is that the bottom of my running shoes'  soles is worn out on the outside of the sole, hardly at all in the middle and not at all on the inside. Please tell me which kind of running shoes I should buy for my foot type/running stride? (preferrably Adidas).

Thank you so much.

HI Jana

If it's not broken, then don't fix it. In otherwords, if you are currently running in shoes that are comfortable and you like them, and you're not injured, then changing the shoe can only result in two things. Either you'll be lucky and you'll stay exactly the same, or you'll get injured.

The point is, you have two options. The best case is to stay the same. Worst case is that you get injured. So therefore, given the choice, rather stick with the good situation you're in now and don't worry about what you've read to confuse you.

good luck