Posted by: lerita | 2009-03-23

which puppy to buy or not to buy

I konw that this is not a discussion forum, but give me so guidance in what to buy. We had a robbery last week. Luckily I woke up and hubby and me chase the robbers away. We promised our children a dog after this insidence. Which dog is very attentive?. She has to sleep with us in the house. She also have to be disciplined as I breed with small rabbits in cages. I do not want the dog to terrorise the rabbits or break iinto their cages. I know that if a rabbit escape it will be signing its own death warrant. My children is 5 and 9 years. I though about a Jack Russell or scotty but I am not very sure. Please help!!

Dear Lerita

Do some research on Rottweilers.

Posted by: niek | 2009-03-31

het ook nou ' n baby bullmastiff gekry, baie oulik, sy en my kat (3 maande) asook die 2 kinders (1 jaar &  3 jaar) speel lekker saam. het ook gehoor dis beste hond vir kinders en as waghond.

Reply to niek
Posted by: Jakes | 2009-03-26

Most puppies r cute. 2 me the boxers, bullmastiffs + boerboel puppies r the cutest of them all. But remember it will not stay a pup. It will eventually bcome an adult dog + U' ll have 2 deal with it. When buying from a breeder, a good thing is to check out the temprement of both parents. That should give U a reasonable idea of what temprement U can expect your dog 2 have.

Reply to Jakes
Posted by: Steve | 2009-03-26

I would stay away from terriers. Most terriers r not really suitable 4 children. It' s a fact, most med. + large breed female dogs r good with kids if they r bought as puppies. Also a bigger type of dog is a bigger deterent to woul b thieves + housebreakers. We have a Rottie x Ridgeback, she' s 15 &  can hardly bark anymore but the people r very scared of her. Border collies r not really suitable 4 children. Look at GSD' s, Dobies, Labradores, Boxers, Bullmastiffs + Rottweilers. I' m sure that U ' ll find something among these. Remember that pedigree dogs from reputable breeders r expensive but usually worth it in the long run.

Reply to Steve
Posted by: WR | 2009-03-24

Hi there,

The best advice I can give you is to think/ research dogs that are traditionally good family dogs, but that also get along with other animals.
If you do get a shelter dog - try and get as young a dog as possible.
You should also consider the size that you' ll be able to handle.
For a first timer I would not recommend a high energy dog like a Border Collie.
Yes, even though I am a German Shepherd lover, I still do think that it is (trying to be as objective as possible) your best option. They were originally used for flock guarding/ herding, very alert and obviously, if trained properly, great with other animals - but that will be the same for most dogs. I do agree that you should not look at any Terrier type dog - and for that matter, no sight-hounds - they are all hunters and they are difficult to ' cure' ...
Good luck!

Reply to WR
Posted by: lerita | 2009-03-24

Thanks for everybodys input. I will give the animal shelters a thought though

Reply to lerita
Posted by: Chill | 2009-03-23

Bullmastiffs are undoubtedly wonderful dogs, but hardly a breed to recommend to a ' beginner' .... they' re also damned expensive to feed!

I would tend to support the dog-shelted idea - go there with an open mind, and listen to the advice given. You will undoubtedly find something suitable there, and you' d also have the satisfaction of giving an ' unwanted'  pup/dog a home.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Big dog lover | 2009-03-23

Bullmastiffs especially spayed females make wonderful family dogs + also good watch dogs. They' re very good with children + if the grow up with other pets then they accept them as being part of the family. Although big, they r not overly boistrous + don' t bark 4 nothing. It' s a fact - when your Bullmastiff barks then go see what or who is there. Spayed female Rottweilers from good stock also make good family dogs. They r more active than Bullmastiffs + if they grow up with your children they will always b there to protect them. Ideal situation is to have 2 large dogs - preferably spayed females together. Years ago we had a Bullmastif + a Doberman together - both females. What a good combination they were + they both loved kids.

Reply to Big dog lover
Posted by: Carol | 2009-03-23

Any of the terrier breeds are going to be a pain the butt with rabbits.

I have two boxers ...I also have ducks, chickens,geese, parrots and cats .... I have no problem whatsoever with my two dogs . They sleep in the house as thats the best place for any dog IMO

Boxers are IMO the best child dog you can get , they are medium sized wont eat you out of house and home and are loyal protective dogs.

The only problem is they tend to be extremly naughty, but them a lot of puppies are .. boxers however stay naughty ..they dont grow up.

Good luck with your search.

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Boerboel Owner | 2009-03-23

You can also go to dogbreedinfodotcom there is a lot of useful info on a lot of breeds and they have a quiz to help you choose a dog

Reply to Boerboel Owner
Posted by: Mandi | 2009-03-23

I' m not familiar with scotties, but I have JR experience and my opinion is NOT to go for the JR.
JR' s are hunting dogs and the rabbits might put the hunting instinct into overdrive. And when a JR goes into " hunting"  mode, a chicken-wire / wooden cage won' t keep her way from the rabbits.

Maybe you can go to your local shelter to see if there is a puppy which " talks"  to you?

Reply to Mandi