Question
Posted by: ANON | 2012-10-03

WHICH IS BETTER

So if I am feeling like having junk which is better a slice of cake or a packet of simba chips? I know neither are good but if i feel like something i dont deprive myself.

Dear Which Is Better
According to the SA Food Tables, the average energy, fat, saturated fat and sodium contents of crisps per 100 gram are: 2300 kJ, 36 g total fat, 9.2 g saturated fat,1000 mg sodium. When it comes to cakes, it depends exactly what type of cake you eat! Let's say you have plain chocolate cake without icing then the values per 100g are: 1476 kJ, 12.9 g fat, 3.6 g saturated fat and 242 mg sodium. So if you eat plain chocolate cake without icing then the cake is less fattening than the potato crisps. But if you add 2 tablespoons (30g) of cake icing to the 100 g of chocolate cake, then the values will increase to 2094 kJ, 20.9 g total fat, 5.4 g saturated fat and 403 mg of sodium. Chocolate cake with icing is, therefore, marginally less fattening and contains less total fat, saturated fat and sodium than potato crisps.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-10-04

Dear Which Is Better