Question
Posted by: Kermie | 2010-09-09

Which breed is best?

Hi there I would like to find out your advice. We are moving into a new house with a nice big enclosed garden. I have a four year old daughter and a male maltese cross jack russel or pom type dog which is quite aggressive. We are wanting to get a big guard dog but one that will be good with my daughter. we were thinking along the lines of a Doberman, german shepherd or husky. Which of these or others would be best and would we have to get a female due to the fact our other dog is male? Please advise

Hi Kermie

I cannot give an opinion on a specific breed as I have my own preferences. Go to a good book store and get a book on dog breeds. This will help you decide what breed of dog would be best suited to your requirements . The book should define the character/husbandry of the breeds and any potential breed problems that may arise

3
Posted by: Chill | 2010-09-11

What I would do is go to a decent animal shelter and see what they have on offer. They will have assessed the dog''s temperament, both with people and with other dogs, and will be able to advise you. But whatever you do, do not go there with some sort of mental image of what you''re looking for - doing that will make you overlook some mutt who could very well be the ideal dog for you.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Elle | 2010-09-10

What about a labrador - they''re great wqith children and are very protective of their familes. They just need training &  exercise, like any other dog.

Reply to Elle
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010-09-10

Hi Kermie

Reply to CyberVet