Posted by: Julia | 2012-04-30

Which bread is better for your health/weight loss.

I really like the Albany range of breads but i''m unsure as to which is the best option for weight loss. I have been eating the Albany Ultima rooibos and rye bread, but I have also seen a 100% smooth wholegrain bread from Albany. Out of all the Albany breads can you tell me which one is the better option?

Dear Julia
I apologise for only answering your question today (3 May), but the DietDoc Message Board was closed for the long weekend and I found your question by chance today when I started answering questions posed in May 2012. From a health and nutritional point of view, all breads with a high dietary fibre content are healthy because they have to contain added vitamins (vit A, B1, B2, niacin, folic acid and pyridoxine) and minerals (iron and zinc) by government regulation. The there is the question of the glycaemic index (GI). The lower the GI of the bread, the more beneficial it will be for your blood sugar levels which will in turn promote weightloss. So the best choices are breads that list a low GI value and also have a high dietary fibre content. The vitamin and mineral contents tend to be similar.