Question
Posted by: Sunny | 2010/04/15

Which Area

I''''m working for the government and he is been practicing as an attorney on his own for 3yrs.
We are not rich but we are doing well, we have one car which is paid up and he is planning to buy the other before the end of they year.

The problem is that I don''''t mind using a public transport I just want him to extend the house cause I am expecting our third child and our three bedroomed house is becoming small with a nanny sleeping in the house. I like the area we are living in, it is not a township nor a suburb but it''''s nice and affordable. We pay less than thousand rands to the municipality for rates,taxes, water &  electricity all included.

He does not want to extend our house because he wants to buy a house somewhere in the east of Pretoria where the rates, water &  electricity are very expensive(not sure if we can afford that)

According to the qoutation that we have the house that I want will cause something like 200K, and where he wants to live the houses ranges from R1 000 000.

I really don''''t think we should go to an expensive area which we can''''t afford than build a house of our dreams in a cheaper and yet nicer area. The schools &  shops are close, it is closer to the town (only ten minutes drive), next to the doctors and we are on the same street as Hospital.

what do you think.

Remember with Pretoria / Tshwane, you also get one of the absolutely worst-run municipalities on earth, and not only unreasonably high rates, but frequent power cuts, and disruption of water and garbage removal. Where you live sounds fine and is going into debt to the tune of over 1 million rand really a great idea at times like these ?

6
Posted by: Sunny | 2010/04/15

Thank Maria and Woman,you''ve made good points. I will start doing my research.

Reply to Sunny
Posted by: Woman | 2010/04/15

Making smart financial decisions are the best thing you can do for your children. Let your husband know that you share in your husband''s dreams of moving to a better area with better schools. But reason with him (he is an attorney after all, and being reasonable would be appreciated by him.) Show him the current price of your house, show him that in real estate, it isn''t a buyers market right now, but that the market is showing some growth. The show him what your house would currently sell for, and then what it would sell for once you have made improvements and how much it would cost.

Once he realises that investing his extra money in the property you currently own will give him a bigger deposit for your next step up once the time is right, then he ought to understand your reasoning. Be prepared with quotes or even just magazines like the home maker''s fair and the property pages.

Once he sees that you show commitment to your future together, he ought to understand why you feel this way now. Good luck :)

Reply to Woman
Posted by: Maria | 2010/04/15

Maybe point out to him that adding on to your current house will increase it''s value, so when you eventually sell it you will have more money to put into a new house?

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Sunny | 2010/04/15

You are right Maria, but everytime we discuss this he will see my reasons and he will agree with me. The next thing when he passes throught that rich area he likes or when he visit someone in the east, he goes back to his innitial decission of relocating to the east. when I ask him where does he think we will get the money to buy the house there. He will tell me that he is not in a hurry we can even move after ten years when his business is strong and in the meantime will be staying in our matchbox house with 3 children and a nanny, without a garage for the car.

Reply to Sunny
Posted by: Maria | 2010/04/15

Sunny, I would reason the same way you do. However what we think is irrelevant. You need to sit down with your partner and draw up a proper budget. That will tell you what you can and cannot afford. And then it is something that must be negotiated between the two of you. Good luck.

Reply to Maria