Question
Posted by: me | 2011/11/10

which are healthy raw veg for TB

hi doc, please let me know which veggies are best eaten raw...
i need to have them, cos i have TB, and trying to stay healthy
thank you so much
me :)

Dear Me
I am sorry to hear that you have TB which can be a tricky illness to handle. Basically you need to eat a diet that is rich in protective nutrients like vitamins, minerals and so-called phytonutrients. This means having at least 5-8 servings of fresh vegetables and/or fruits a day, esp ones that contain vitamin C and/or beta-carotene (oranges*, grapefruit*, lemons*, naartjies*, strawberries*, blueberries*, cranberries*, guavas*, pawpaw*, spanspek*, apricots*, broccoli, butternut, sweet potatoes, cabbage*, carrots*, winter squash, marog, spinach, peas*, tomatoes*, sweet peppers*)(the ones marked with * should be eaten raw if possible). You can even experiment with eating raw broccoli and spinach in salads, but if you cook these vegies lightly and eat them soon after cooking, then most of the nutrients should be preserved. If possible also have plenty of milk and dairy products, lean meat, fish, eggs, or legumes like soya or lentils, and wholegrain breads and cereals (for their vit B complex content). A balanced diet, plenty of rest and fresh air and strict adherence to taking your medication will get you through this difficult period.
Thinking of you

1

Dear Me
Thinking of you