Posted by: Janet | 2009-07-07

Which Anti Depressant

I just want to know whether I am on the correct medication or not.
I have had Generalised Anxiety Disorder coupled with depression for about 15 years now.
I have been on: TOfronil, Effexor, .zoloft, Cipromil, Aropax, Xanor and Aterax.
I have been on Lorien Fluoxitine since 2003 and it really was helping a lot, but the past year or so I have had major depressive and anxiety episodes which have left me not working and really struggling with depression and anxiety. Lately I really feel low as if there will be no light at the end of the tunnel. I am on 20mg but my GP told me today to go up to 40mg a day.
Also, what are the pros of having the Thyroid Hormonal Blood test, could this be a contributing problem to my GAD and depression.

Dear Janet
Having the Thyroid hormone test will not be harmful as abnormal thyroid function can cause depression or anxiety symptoms. You can go op to 40 mg with your Fluoxetine if the 20 mg is not working. It may be worth your while to also see a phsycologist to teach you some stress relieving techniques you can help yourself with when you feel very anxious. For depression, regular exercise (30 min a day) is very helpful as it increases the endorphins (good feeling hormones) in the brain.