Question
Posted by: Magrie | 2010/11/03

Whey protein/meal replacements

Hi Doc,

I want to know if I could use the USN diet fuel as a meal replacement during the day and the whey protein after work out''s? Would there be any side effects to doing this?

M

Hi Magrie

I don't know the product offhand, but I'd be careful about meal replacements. For one thing, it never replaces a meal, regardless of what is supposedly packed into it, and I would always suggest that if you have the option of eating vs supplementing, then eat. So I'd rather you spent R500 on a consultation with a dietician and sorted out what you eat, because it's healthier, than to waste hundreds each month on something that may not work, may not be safe and is never tested.

So to answr your question about side effects, i don't know, because that product is never tested for risk, and so there is a chance of contamination, there's a chance that it doesn't work, generally, nothing is known with certainty.

The whey after training is OK, no problems with that, but again, I'd look first at diet, and make sure you're eating well. If you still need a supplement (which, I'll be honest, is unlikely, unless you're training a massive amount), then you might consider something like whey.

2
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/11/12

Hi Magrie

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: Elizabeth | 2010/11/10

Rather use SNN''s whey protein - I used to use USN, but SNN is a much better product. You can use the whey protein during the day as a meal replacement - use equal amounts of fat free or low fat milk and water e.g. 100 ml water &  100 ml milk. SNN is developed by Mario van Biljon a microbiologist and also a bodybuilder - google him if you want more info.

Reply to Elizabeth