Question
Posted by: Magrie | 2010/11/03

Whey protein/meal replacement

Hi Doc,

I want to know if I could use the USN diet fuel as a meal replacement during the day and the whey protein after work out''s? Would there be any side effects to doing this?

M

Dear Magrie
I don't have the list of ingredients for the USN Diet Fuel available, so am not sure what effect this would have on you. I presume it is a high energy product? Check the energy content per serving (with and without added liquids like low-fat milk) and if it is higher than 2100 kJ (500 kcal) per serving then this is not an appropriate meal replacement if you want to lose weight. I can't figure out if you do want to lose weight or not?? If you are doing plenty of exercise and need lots of energy then you can probably use this type of product as a meal replacement. Taking whey protein after a workout is not really suitable because after a workout you need a meal or snack that helps your muscles and glycogen stores recover, thus a drink like sipping yoghurt or flavoured milk (use the low-fat variety if you are trying to lose weight) or some pasta with vegetables, cheese and some fruit, etc. After a strenuous workout you need to re-hydrate, put back carbohydrates and some proteins, not just protein, otherwise you will get very tired and lack energy for your future exercise sessions.

1

Dear Magrie