Posted by: ANON | 2009-02-05

I am a 24 year old educated lady who relocated to the East Rand, Edenvale, and it is impossible to make new friends as I am working the whole day. Can anyone recommend the route to go to make new friends except not internet dating please.

I hope other readers can respond helpfully to this query

Posted by: Good for you | 2009-02-06

It' s really frustrating, I just wish I could hit on a good idea to encourage like minded people to get together. It seems such a waste to have all the potential out there, guys and girls on their own, all just wishing to find some good company and who knows from there on what develops ? At the moment I reckon the Internet is the place to go as you can suss someone out quite well and able to figure out your " deal brakers"  at a distance without hurting someones' feelings, like " no smoking"  " no weird piercings"  " no tattoos"  etc. I like " Lonely Too" s comment about wearing something distinctive, so you can check someone out at a distance and if you don' t like, just keep walking. I love the no Top Hat tip !!

Anyway for those of you who are making an effort to get out there and make it happen, you are the winners, those that sit around moping and feeling sorry for themselves are the losers. Come on people lets make the effort !!! Good luck

Reply to Good for you
Posted by: Nicky | 2009-02-06

Gym works for me.
Yes people are busy working out but if you attend classes (v-box, step, etc), it works easier. Just go there initially to gym and be observant. Eventually, you will identify with the people of your own type. Then stick around them during the class i.e. exercise in the same sport. The more you meet each other, you start feeling guilty and start greeting. From there it goes on and you become friends (you decide how far you want to take that friendship).
It worked for me though I was not there to make friends but I ended up making a lot of them (man and women).
Good luck!!!!

Reply to Nicky
Posted by: Rick | 2009-02-05

Well, Im recently divorced and " new"  to the singles scene after 9 years of relationship. There actually no real place to meet like minded people. Im trying the internet scene just to meet people and ive already met a few nice women as friends, I think its the best thing, its safe, secure. Just follow some common sense and you will end up meeting really nice people. Yes there are idiots that ruin it for us normal guys but there are decent guys around.

Reply to Rick
Posted by: Lonely too | 2009-02-05

It is a problem for sure. People say join a gym, but the people there are busy working out, breathless, panting and not really concentrating on talking ! Internet dating does have problems, but its a start and if it can be arranged in a busy place, coffee shop for example, you can always check out the other person before actually sitting down and meeting them (wear an easily identifiable piece of clothing (not a top hat !! lol) Nowadays there are so many wierdos and chancers out there you have to be careful. I wish I had the answer.

Reply to Lonely too
Posted by: o | 2009-02-05

Join a gym - go regularly - soon you will meet people there!

Reply to o