Question
Posted by: Pasquale | 2011-08-15

Where to from here

After trying unsuccessfully to conceive for the last 3 and a half years, we finally mustered up the courage to go for the needed tests. It was determined that my husband had poor sperm motility and that his swimers were abnormally shaped :(

We were quite dissapointed when the urologist blatantly advised we have about a 1% chance of conceiving naturally and that there is no medication that can help.

There is such a wealth of info on the web, but a lot is contradictory. Rather than wasting our money going from specialist to specialist for more and more opinions, would you perhaps be able to advise what the best plan of action for us would be?

Our one and only wish in life is to be parents, this has left us absolutely gutted.

Pleeeeease help?

Dear Pasquale

Assuming that everything else from your investigation is normal namely your fallopian tubes are open and that all your hormones are normal and if the problem is a sperm problem then I would give you the following advice. Firstly your husband should try and do a lifestyle change which would include healthy eating plan, avoiding alcohol, stopping smoking and exercising. Another important factor is to decrease ones stress levels. Your can try that for several months and repeat the sperm test and see if that would have improved it or not. If that does not improve the sperm parameters then I suggest that you see a fertility specialist and that you may require assisted reproductive techniques to increase your chances of conceiving.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011-08-25

Dear Pasquale

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert