Question
Posted by: Jordan | 2010-02-15

Where to from here?

I am an alcoholic. Addicted to prescription tablets. Head-ache tablets. I had my final warning at work a while ago due to absenteeism. I moved over the weekend to a friends place and she has talked me into going to AA. I came clean with my boss this morning and told him about my alcohol addiction. I try to justify this by saying I"  m not a bad alcoholic, ie. I don'  t drink at work or slip out at lunch time for a drink, but I drank everynight. Will going to the AA help as I am desperate now for help. I have high blodd pressure, blood sugar not whats its supposed to be, but drinking makes me feel better. My kids hate it when I drink, I'  ve had a very bad car accident because of it, but still I do it. Now sitting here at work typing this I feel like a glass of wine. I suffer from severe depression and don'  t feel that anyone can help me. I don'  t have the strength to help myself. I'  ve tried praying but it nothing is working. I don'  t know where to turn now.

Its not helpful to argue about how bad an alcoholic one is - you're a problem drinker, and that's enough for you to deserve proper treatment. AA is a good first step, but you should also see a shri nk with an interest in alcohol ( and did you say also prescription drug ? ) problems, so you're under proper expert supervision. A psychiatrist could aso take proper account of your other problems, such as high BP. Don't try to do this on your own - work with a psychiatrist, maybe a rehab program as well, an with the support of your kids, who I am sure would be pleased to help. With the right help, you CAN do it.

1