Question

where should i be at 25 yrs old?

I' m just a bit concerned about where I should be in my life right now.

I am 25 yrs old, and stepped out of a great paying job where I was highly respected about 6 months ago.
I decided then to start studying for a diploma in a completely different field
I have not been able to find work since I left that job and really don' t want to start from the bottom again (waitressing etc)earning half the salary i earned before
most of my friends my age are in successfully positions earning lots of money and are either married or have kids.

my question is: what has the average 25 year old female achieved in life? are they usually still students earning little money or are they settled by then?

thanks

Sounds like you have somehow lost your map, and I don't understand the easoning behind your career moves. Couldn't you have studied for the diploma that interested you, part-time, while continuing with your previous job ? In the new field, you surely can't uey get a worthwhile job, and presumably employers in your old field would be worried abou someone who apparently walked out of a good post for no reason they would see as convincing.
I don't understand the comparisons you are looking for --- students don't make money, and your previous position is irrelevant to your current student earning capacity. The average woman of your age if still or again a student, would not be earning much, nor expecting to ; or she would be settled either in her family or chosen job. The average person who leaves a good job and resumes a stuent life, would probably be in the same position you find yourself in, but wouldn't be surprised by this

2

You know what... starting at the bottom again is not always a bad thing. My mom had to at 45 and she is now successful again. You are still so young, most 25 year olds I know still do all week binges and parties.

You will find your feet again, just dont be afraid to start at the bottom.

Posted by: Your_Invisible_Friend | 2009-05-18

hhhmm.....this is rather difficult to assess.....why did you leave a good paying job in the first place? why study something in a different field?

put yourself in the shoes of the HR manager looking for the best fitting / suited candidate - what do you think he/she is looking for?
you dont seemed convinced of the decisions you made yourself - so how can you convince the interviewer?
get some perspective in your life, figure out what it is that you want? what it is that you are working towards?

once you figure that out, take your current situation into account and see where you can bridge the gap.

good luck!

Reply to Your_Invisible_Friend