Posted by: El | 2008-11-03

where is your private practise?

Hi Ingrid,

Please assist with my father' s diabetic problem. I am currently on Dr. Cohen' s diet with great success. My father is a diabetic and overweight. He wanted to desperately join Dr.Cohen' s diet program, but they refused due to him being a diabetic. (The same with weigh-less). He was disheartened. We are extremely concerned about his health and well-being, but can not find anyone that can genuinely help him. This weight struggle has been going on for years and your average dieticians do not seem to help. He is residential in Bloemfontein. We as a family are desperate. Whom can he contact and where can he go? Thank you very much!!!!!

Dear E
Please be careful with Dr Cohen's diet as it is not balanced or healthy if you use it for a long time. Because your Dad suffers from diabetes he does need to see a clinical dietitian. It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance or diabetes to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in Bloemfontein. The dietitian will take your Dad's diabetes (type 1 or type 2), medications (insulin?) and other conditions such as overweight and raised blood lipid levels, into account when working out a diet for him, which will be based on foods with a low-fat, low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Your Dad should also ask his doctor what type of exercise is may be allowed to do and get more active, e.g. start going for walks for about 30 min every day or swimming, BUT only if the doctor gives permission.

Posted by: Karin | 2009-03-30

Where can i find more information about Dr Cohen' s diet? i could only find 1 center in the Western Cape where one can enroll for the eating plan. What is the cost invoved?

Reply to Karin
Posted by: Jfk | 2008-11-03

Try the MNI Clinic, 92 Albrecht Street, Dan Pienaar, Bloem
maretha at mnilifestyle co za for diabetes weight loss.

Reply to Jfk