Posted by: Sleepless | 2009-01-09

Where do these dreams come from?

For the past few years i' ve been having strange dreams and in the last year it' s been happening about twice a week. The thing that makes these dreams strange is that they are so real that i honestly cannot tell the difference between being awake and being asleep except for not remembering waking up but for some reason things like that don' t really occur to me at the time.

The thing that disturbs me is that everything in the dream is a distortion of what is around me when i' m sleeping and i respond as i would if i were concious, i can feel and hear everything. It all starts off normal but within what feels like minutes it all goes chaotic and i wake up rapidly and i find myself standing in a different room in the house (the same room that i was in when i was dreaming) in the complete darkness, completely disorientated pulse racing yet i' m still responding as i was in the dream until my brain makes better sense of my surroundings.

This sounds quite funny but what worries me is that i might actually seriously hurt somebody while this is all going on because even though i' m consciously aware of everything, all my responses are instinctual and there' s absolutely no reasoning going on. What is causing this to happen and how can i stop it?

Someone has boobed, causing me and you great inconvenience, and has opened this forum prematurely --- it was agreed it would stay closed until January 12th, and I have only discovered your message by accident.

What you describe sounds like part of the range of normal dreaming, except that if you are waking in a different room from where you went to sleep, this is presumably sleep-walking, which is inconvenient, and sometimes risky, depending on the layout of your home. Usually, a sleep-walker doesn't harm others, but they may fall and injure themselves. Best to see a good local shrink for a thorough assessment, and advice based on the findings of that