Posted by: Charne | 2011-09-22

Where do I start?

I am a 27 year old 61-62-kg 1.58 woman with 3 kids. I have never believed the saying that it''s all down hill with your body once you have kids. I have never been " toned"  or " thin"  my entire life. I know that eating healthy and exercising will help me to become toned and to lose the fat I have around my body, but for some or other reason, I believe deep inside of me that I will never look like rihanna or beyonce (I know I will never look like them, but I prefer the curvier look rather than say Jessica Alba?) What does it take to get me from where I am now to where I want to be? I have broad shoulders but narrow wrists so how do I describe my " bone structure" ? What is an ideal weight, ie: how much would I have to lose to look the way I want to?

Sorry about the 20 questions :)

Hi Charne

It's not downhill, you're right. So I think it's great that you're taking this challenge on.

Having said that, I'm not going to oversimplify because it does can time, and it takes real discipline and committment. You're looking at 12 months minimum, not one month - people often commit for one month and that's that, they don't succeed in 4 weeks and give up, when the reward was waiting, maybe 3, 6 or 12 months down the line.

So I guess accept that you're in it for the long-term.

Then as for what you do, set a goal first. I'd say your goal should NOT be weight related. It's too complex and can easily lead to disillusionment. Rather set a fitness goal. Run a 21km race in March or April next year. Cycle the Argus. Something like that, because that's a more enjoyable goal, easier to monitor, easier to see progress.

And then you need a programme. is a website where you'll find some options for a range of programmes.

As for ideal weight, it's a range, and you're in it already. The range might be 52 to 62kg, so you're at the top end. That's why I say don't get hung up on the number. Get fitter, get stronger, feel better, and the progress will happen!