Question
Posted by: Cowlip | 2010/01/07

Where do I start

I' ve finally decided to go for therapy but have no idea where to start... do I go to my GP for a referral or do I just call up any psychologist in my area?

Custom is changing. At one stage it was expected that people would reach a specialist only by referral from a GP ( which often just needlessly added to the cost of care ). Now it is becoming more common for specialists including therapists to accept direct self-referrals, which is often appropriate. The Health professions Council, with its dismal and undistinguished history, gives no useful leadership on this or any other issue, probably frowns on this, but competent specialists take no leadership from the Council.
So - try calling up a good psychologist in your area. Groups like SADAG can also advise some that provide modern and effective methods such as CBT. Avoid psychoanalytically-oriented therapists like the plague.

1