Question
Posted by: Viv | 2009/11/24

Where do i start

I am on lexamil 10mg and seroquel 200mg. I am gaining so much weight I want to cry. I have given birth 10 months ago and although I am contend with other parts of my body I am struggling to loose the tummy area. Is there anything I can do or shouldnt be doing???

Dear Viv
I surmise that you are suffering from depression and one of the side-effects of depression itself and antidepressants, can be weight gain depending on the individual patient's reaction. Seroquel specifically lists weight gain as a side-effect. You need to discuss this with the prescribing dr. You can try using an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for 30 or more min a day if you need to lose weight all round. The exercise will help to stimulate your metabolism, promote weightloss and improve your depression. If your tummy muscles have been stretched by the pregnancy, then doing targeted exercises like situps (in addition to the cardio exercises mentioned above), which will help to tighten the muscles and improve your appearance. If the tummy does not react to 6 months of targeted exercise then you may have to consult a plastic surgeon for liposuction or a tummy tuck.

1

Dear Viv