Posted by: Nav | 2009-10-05

Where do i go?

Hi Cyberdoc,
I have a quick question.
when do i go visit a psychiatrist and when do i visit a psychologist?
i have decided to take the step and seek some counselling. I am struggling with work, my studies and overall need help emotionally.

I would appreciate your opinion

If you are likely to need medication, you need to see a psychiatrist, as that variety opf shrink has medical trainin and can prescribe drugs, and a psychologist doesn't and can't. Some psychiatrists can provide counselling / psychotherapy, but many don't happen to do so. A clinical Psychologist is likely to be your best bet for that, as they specialize in such therapy. If you are studying at an institution, they should have some counsellors vailable, too, with particular experience at dealing with study problems and their interface with emotional problems