Question
Posted by: Sj | 2012/04/17

When will it stop

Hi There

I have not had a smoke in almost 3 weeks now. My question is when do the symptoms stop. I have the following:

1) Headaches
2) Insomnia
3) Constipation
4) Morning tightness of chest - I have to take small shallow breaths for most of the morning and in the afternoons.
5) A random cough

All of the above have only been happening since +- week 1 after I had stopped smoking . I did not have any of the above while i was smoking.

It is rather getting to me now. You are supposed to feel better after stopping right???

Thanks Doc any help will be greatly appreciated.

Expert ImageStop Smoking Advice

Congratulations on your 3 weeks! The first few weeks are recognized as usually being the hardest, so well done. The symptoms you mention may all be experienced as a result of nicotine withdrawal and your body adjusting to being free of tobacco smoke. It's ironic (and unfair!)that many people feel WORSE in the first few weeks after quitting, but keep in mind you are undergoing a serious physical and psychological adjustment, as when freeing yourself from any serious addiction. Please stick with it - you will start to feel better, but it may take longer, even 8-12 weeks, before symptoms abate. In some people, it takes 6 months before they feel quite comfortable as non-smokers. But have no doubt: you are already much healthier now than 3 weeks ago. That said, it's not a bad idea to check in with your doctor during this withdrawal period and tell him/her about any symptoms that may be bothering you. Occasionally, smoking may mask an underlying condition that only starts to become apparent once you stop. All strength to you for the coming weeks.

1
Posted by: Stop Smoking Advice | 2012/04/18

Reply to Stop Smoking Advice