Question
Posted by: Riley | 2011/04/08

When will i be too old to have kids

OMG Im turning 36, still no kids - my boyfriend taking his time to marry me. I dont want a baby out of wedlock.

When will we be too old to have children.

Im follow a very healthy lifestyle. Nutrition, excersize - i dont smoke, i dont drink and im not on any medication - just contraceptives (Ovral).

I still want to get engaged (be engaged for 6mnths) then get married. I would like to be married at least 2yrs before kids. i will be almost 40 then!!! Well that was the plan!!

Dear Riley

It is a well know fact that age is the single most important determinant of fertility prognosis beyond the age of 35. It is fairly difficult to predict your fertility status as this stage. You have to bear in mind that not only you have to be evaluated but also your partner. However as a start I would recommend a routine gynaecological workup including anatomical and hormonal systems. A every important test has now been introduced called AMH (anti-mullerian hormone) which is a good and accurate predicator of ovarian reserve or the capacity of the ovaries to produce eggs and this test should be included as well. You should also convince your partner to have a semen analysis done at this stage.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011/04/12

Dear Riley

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert