Question
Posted by: Jessica | 2010/02/16

When to stop IVF?

HI - I am 42 yrs old and have a child of 3,5years. Since he was born I have had 17 IVF treatments - I am starting to feel that more treatments may only result in more negative results - when do you advise someone like me to stop? THanks.

Dear Jessica

The reason for doing the IVF needs to be carefully evaluated. I am not certain if your 3.5-year-old child was conceived through IVF or naturally. If this was a natural conception I would suggest that you stop the IVF at this stage and resort to more physiology methods for conception. The reason is that with the advance in age, egg quality tends to decrease and over stimulation of the ovaries will not necessarily compensate for this. Therefore a period of rest maybe recommended allowing the ovaries to improve function and thereby egg quality.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

2
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010/02/19

Dear Jessica

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert
Posted by: Pally | 2010/02/18

Did you conceive your child thru IVF or was it natural?

Reply to Pally