Posted by: Zenobia | 2009-04-09

When to stop

I just want to find out at what age can I stop paying maintenance for my son. Is it at age 18? Currently i pay R1310 in maintenance and I heard that if he does not study further after matric i can stop when he is 18.

Expert ImageDivorce support expert

Hi Zenobia.
SADSA does not offer legal advice only emotional support, however, even though I do believe that 18 sounds like the legal age when you can stop paying, my concern is, what about your relationship with your son? If he does stop studying, have you explored his options? What does he want to do? How close are you to him? Can the maintenance perhaps be used to help him get started with a skill he wants to explore? Money gets earned and gets spent, but a relationship with your son is priceless. Every child needs both their parents in their lives. It is their birth right.

I wish you all the best.

Posted by: Jayne | 2009-06-04

My ex and I were together for 20 years and we divorced last year when I found out he was having an affair. I am still so brokenhearted and want to contact him and hear his voice, I keep on thinking he is in bed with his arms around me and still going to come home. At the same time I despise what he did to me and how verbally abusive he was to me so am very confused that I still have these feelings a year and a half done the line. I really want to move on in my life but just don' t know how to get over him. I have strted seeing a pyschologist again as I am in a terrible depression.

I would appreciate any help and comments.

Reply to Jayne