Question
Posted by: Leanne | 2010-06-08

When to start feeding pupies solids and when can mom leave them?

Hi Vet. My pups were born on 8th May 2010, last night I bought them a packet of puppy pellets and they wolfed them down nicely, the mom isn''t to keen on feeding them anymore because they have teeth now and I''m sure it''s very sore for her. They all sleep in my room, can I let the mom sleep outside now or is it too early? She always jumps on my bed and sleeps on my bed so it''s kinda pointless having her inside. When will her milk dry up? When should they stop drinking from her permanently? When can we find them a new home?

Hi Leanne

4 weeks of age it too early to let the mother sleep outside without the pups. The pups will still require feeing in the night.

The bitch will start gradually weaning from 4-8 weeks. I suspect that the pups will be totally weaned at around 6-8 weeks when their teeth start to erupt. Before you find them a new home ensure that the pups have been dewormed and vaccinated - it is the responsible thing to do. You can re-home from 7-8 weeks.

1
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010-06-08

Hi Leanne

Reply to CyberVet